What happens when you get a review? Should you respond to it? What if it is negative?
These are common questions that we’d like to cover in this section, and it will apply to getting reviews on your review engine as well as on other review sites.
But first, here’s a great video from Entrepreneur Magazine featuring Gary Vaynerchuck that helps us understand the mind-set we should have if we do happen to receive complaints or negative reviews online:
What happens if I get a negative review on my review engine?
The great thing about our system is that you get an immediate email notifying you when reviews are submitted about your company. If someone isn’t happy with your product or service, they can indicate that when writing the review. They are also given the opportunity to tell you what you could have done better, and ask for a followup phone call.
The first thing you should do when you get a negative review is to respond personally as quick as possible. If you need to speak with your staff first to find out more and how you can fix the problem, go ahead, but be sure to respond quickly. Pick up the phone if you have a phone number. Listen to them. Find out what you could do to make it right for them and what changes you need to make in your business to improve it prevent similar complaints or reviews in the future. How you handle negative feedback is as important as getting great reviews.
Here are a couple of things to consider before responding to a less-than-positive review:
- Take reviews seriously, but as hard as it is – never take them too personally.
- See them as an opportunity to get better and improve your business processes.
- Own this issue! Take a hard look at the situation. Was there something that you or your staff could have done better?
- Respond humbly. Resist the urge to go to battle with the customer about the situation. Instead offer to do what you can to make the situation right.
- Your response could make or break how future prospective customers your business! Keep this in mind with every response and write it accordingly.
Should I respond to all reviews?
Generally, we think this is a great idea! When you respond, you have the opportunity to do a couple of very important things;
- You show that you are engaged with your customers
- You can provide additional authenticity by thanking the reviewer by name, perhaps highlighting something that you enjoyed about working with them, and if it is a business customer, providing their business name.
When you receive a review on your review engine, we suggest that you respond to directly in the “Speak Your Mind” section on the individual review page. This creates a comment in the system, which you can review in the comments section of your dashboard menu.
What about reviews on Google+Local, Yelp, and other review sites? Should I respond to those?
If you have claimed these listings for your company, then you should be able to respond publicly by logging in to your account. Again, we do recommend responding to reviews for the same reasons as listed above, and with the same tact and strategy as above.